Your ultimate Memorial Day BBQ menu
Got friends or family coming over on Memorial Day weekend? Celebrate the start of summer and keep your weight loss goals on track with our three healthy recipes perfect for feeding a crowd.
Smoky grilled chicken with potato wedges, grilled corn and salad
Jazz up grilled chicken with a smoked paprika rub in this hearty dish.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
1½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
4 (6-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, visible fat removed
For the sides:
2 lbs. russet potatoes, cut into 1” wedges
2 ears corn, husked and cut in half
8 oz. baby gem lettuce
1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced ¼“ thick
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
Pinch mustard powder
- Turn your grill on and get it nice and hot. In a small bowl, stir the paprika, salt, garlic powder, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne to combine. Sprinkle half of the mixture over the chicken, and rub it into the meat.
- Cover the chicken and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet lightly with cooking spray, and add your potatoes to the pan in an even layer. Roast until tender, 17-20 minutes.
- When the potatoes come out of the oven, sprinkle the remaining half of the seasoning mixture over them, and toss well to combine. Reserve (or bring them out to the grill with you when you cook the chicken and corn—hold them in the pan in the warming area of your grill, to give them a bonus, nice smoky flavor).
Summer slaw with herbed yogurt dressing
Red cabbage and fennel are deliciously crunchy in this slaw, and the flavorful dressing blends together in a snap.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
1 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
¼ bunch fresh dill
¼ bunch fresh Italian parsley
Juice of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp. cool water
½ tsp. onion powder
For the slaw:
1 small red cabbage, shredded (or ⅓ – ½ of a large cabbage)
2 medium heads fennel, thinly sliced (fronds reserved for garnish)
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
Edible flowers, to garnish (optional)
- Place the yogurt, dill, parsley, lemon juice, water, and onion powder in a blender or food processor and blend to combine. Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, toss the cabbage, fennel, and scallions to combine. Add the dressing and toss well to coat. Let sit for 30 minutes in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to meld.
- Just before serving, garnish with the fennel fronds and edible flowers, if using.
American flag fruit kebab platter
Our gorgeous platter of red, white and blue fruit is truly a taste of summer.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
12 (12”) wooden skewers
Small star cookie cutter, about 1”
2 quarts strawberries, hulled and halved
5 bananas, peeled and sliced ½“ thick
1 pint blackberries
1 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1 level Tbsp. sugar substitute
½ tsp. vanilla extract
- This platter is made by arranging fruit on skewers to look like an American flag. Start with the right-hand portion of the flag to make red and white stripes. Skewer 1 strawberry half (red side facing upwards) and push it down to the bottom of the skewer, leaving ½“ at the base.
- Next, thread 1 banana slice onto the skewer (cut side facing upward), followed by 2 strawberry halves. Follow with another banana slice, then 2 strawberry halves, and end on a banana slice.
- Repeat this process another 6 times for a total of 7 skewers.
- Now, make the left-hand portion that has the blue square, plus stripes. Using the star cookie cutter, cut 11 tiny stars from banana slices, and set aside.
- Next, thread 6 blackberries onto a skewer, leaving ½“ at the base. Follow with 1 banana slice (cut side facing upward), then 2 strawberry halves (red side facing upward), and finish with a banana slice.
- Repeat this process another 4 times, for a total of 5 skewers.
- Arrange the skewers on a platter with the blackberry skewers on the left, and the red and white skewers on the right. Arrange the banana stars on top of the solid blackberry section.
- To serve, stir the yogurt, sugar substitute, and vanilla extract together to combine. Serve on the side for dipping.
Inspired? You’ll find lots more information and recipe ideas on our website. Or try our exclusive 7-day Food Optimizing menu plan and start your own weight loss success story today.